The Spanish began to settle in Montego Bay after 1510 in the area of the Fort and they called the Bay “Bahia de Mantega” because of the large quantities of pigs’ lard they exported to their colonies in South America and the West Indies. With the British occupation of Jamaica in 1655, St. James was among the second group of Parishes founded in 1671.
Some time after 1720 a Captain Jonathan Barnett sub-divided a portion of his sugar cane fields and created Charles Town.
Today you still can find fortresses, Great Houses and other remnants of the colonial days.
Sangster International Airport is 3.1 km from the seaport.
Open roadstead 5 to 6 fathoms about half a mile from shore designated Anchorage A may be reserved in advance through harbour master in Kingston.
Marked channel. Day or night entry possible. Straight passage 1,500 ft long, minimum width 400 ft and depth 34 ft. All grades available, but notice required.
Anchorage, water, provisions, bunkers by prior arrangement, pilotage, towage.
Location: 18°29’25”N, 77°55’56”W.
Cornwall Regional Hospital.
Fresh water readily available. Average rate of delivery is 30 tonnes per hour.
Tenders: Ship’s tenders can land at Montego Freeport by prior arrangement.
Turning basin: 1,600 ft diameter with minimum depth of 34 ft.